Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Ode to Lucero

I had the pleasure of seeing a young man fresh out of college sign his first teaching contract today.

A high school athlete and Eagle Scout. AP student. He always enjoyed history. He went to Texas Tech just like his siblings. This Red Raider studied abroad and acquired a master's degree along the way.

A social studies teacher and coach. Something that he has always wanted. Son of a military man turned coach, and a mother who teaches, he knew early on that he would join the family business of teaching. 

Recently he was working at a rec center; with a few strokes of the pen he multiplied his salary fourfold. In addition he is going to make an impact; he'll change the world. 

After he left for the day, I thought about how our paths were so different. 

I too loved history. I was labeled "GT" and took honors classes. I thought I knew what I wanted to be: I wanted to be a black Blake Carrington, business mogul. 

Then I wanted to be a public relations major. I thought I could work for companies and do PR for them. 

As a pre-business major, I quickly discovered that math and I couldn't get along. There was no Public Relations major at my college. 

So I decided to major in history and then Social Sciences. I finally graduated with a degree in the latter after 5 years. 

Toward the end, I realized I had been over looking the obvious. I loved knowledge, I loved sharing it. Little kids always flocked to me, even ones I didn't know. It was my destiny to become a teacher. 

After an entrance to adulthood that was marked by death, violence, and hardship. I was still able to cross paths with a young man who shares the same goals that I have. 

His path was clear, mine was pockmarked with adversity to steer me where I needed to go. Somehow, we met in Mont Belvieu, Texas, on a hot July day. It has been almost 16 years since I signed my first teaching contract. Today reminded me why I did. Today reminded me that I am doing the very thing that I prayed for...making a positive impact

I want to tell my former students like @luceroivettte that you just have to be patient when you don't know what you want to do. When it is time for you to know you will know. You will feel it in the depths of your soul and you will be insanely passionate about it.

In the meantime, enjoy your life; go to college or work and experience what life has to offer. It is my prayer that you will find your calling, you will find that thing that allows you to truly thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment