Monday, July 14, 2014

5 Vacation Reflections

I just returned from a cruise to Cozumel with my family and we had a great time. I love going on cruises; you have no worries! All you have to do is get on the ship, report to your room and enjoy the ride. Everything is all inclusive including food, drinks (water and lemonade), and entertainment. We were gone for 4 days and 5 nights. Our arrival and departure from Cozumel was sandwiched between complete days at sea. I had a lot of time to relax and reflect. As a result of these "reflections" here are 5 among many that I would like to share...Please indulge me:

1. Relaxation

I always forget what it truly means to relax until I actually go on vacation. Once you get out to sea and there is no cell phone service and no internet, then it hits you: I'm not going to be in touch with anyone until I get back! I can't begin to tell you how liberating that was for me; I celebrated by taking naps...lots of naps! I never sleep like I did unless its on vacation. When you lay on the bed and feel the subtle sway of the ocean, you can't help but go to sleep. I needed that. 4 days of chillin' and relaxin'...chillaxin' did me tons of good.

2. Time

I was not at all concerned with the time while I was on vacation. Oddly, that made me realize how valuable it is. We don't know how much time we have to live our lives so we need to value the time that we have. We need to strive to do things that are worthwhile. As a teenager, things never mattered as much because you always "have time" to do whatever you want to do. As an adult, you realize that time is more finite and you value the free time that you have.

It was great lounging by the pool with the wife sharing headphones and listening to music. I had a wonderful time swimming in the pool with my son, racing from end to end or listening to him as we sat in the hot tub. Time matters when you are on the beach watching your son try to catch tropical fish with a shovel (don't ask). Time matters when you and your wife are dying from laughing at the assistant cruise director, a guy who can twerk better than most women (you REALLY had to be there).

3. Water

There is a lot of water in the Gulf of Mexico! There were times when it was so serene and peaceful, other times where you could see little whitecaps and there was a feeling, better yet a reminder that destruction is just one bad weather system away.

4. Food

I love to eat...when there is food everywhere you look, it sure does make for a good time. I ate hamburgers, pizza, and french fries. I tried alligator fritters and crab cakes; pumpkin soup, mango soup, and escargot.  I had lobster tail, fried chicken, and steaks for dinner. I had more chocolate molten cake than should be allowed...I can't wait do it again in the future.

5. Scooby Doo

I want to know why no one told me about these new Scooby Doo adventures! Nevermind the fact that due to limited television channels (like ESPN and HBO to name a couple) we basically watched Boomerang and the Cartoon Network when we were in our cabin Stateroom. Nevermind that! I just want to know when this new version came out! It was pretty good and I would be lying if I didn't enjoy the episodes.

Well these are just a few reflections from my vacation. I had many more but I can't type that long or that much; there would be anything else for me to blog about. Next time...let's see what happens; I'm trying to get into a groove...Striving for perfection "blognificence"

No comments:

Post a Comment